Manor houses – the history of Nobile families in Latvia
About Manor houses in Latvia
In total in the area of present-day Latvia there have been built several thousand palaces and manor houses. Today there exist more than 1000. Although majority of these buildings don't look like majestic fairytale castles - they are important monuments of local history. Due to this each such palace or manor house needs to be protected as monument of architecture and history. Numerous manor houses are located in the middle of village, with numerous architectonic interesting subsidiary buildings around. Such manor centers traditionally have larger or smaller parks and beautiful causeways leading to the palace. You are welcome to explore cultural heritage.
About the Tour
In this tour You will be introduced with seven former manors in the Southern part of Latvia - Zemgale. Until today, they have been preserved in different conditions and have different uses, but it will certainly be interesting to see the diversity of architectural styles, the diversity of manor houses and surrounding parks. Jelgava Palace is the largest palace in the Baltic States in terms of size. It is the most remarkable work of the early period of the famous Russian court architect Francesco Bartolomeo Rastrelli (1700 -1777) and one of the rare architectural monuments that have survived to this day. The Bramberges Manor was established in the second half of the 16th century, dividing into smaller units the large Tervete (Turpentine) manor, which was given to the von Heiking family. The existing manor house was built in the first half of the 17th century and the gate tower in the middle of the 17th century. In the middle of the 17th century, the manor belonged to Louise Charlotte, the wife of Duke Jacob of Courland. Zalenieki Manor ( Grünhof )was a favorite hunting residence of Duke Ernst Johan Biron and his son Peter and remained as such until 1795, when the Dukes of Courland annexed it to Russia. In nowdays iy hosted vocational school. Vilce Manor was built by Baron Christoph Dietrich von Medem with his wife, Anna von Keyserling, daughter of Count Keyserling. Thanks to these marriages, until today the entrance portal of the Vilce Manor is decorated with the coat of arms of the Medem - Keizerling alliance, which is one of the most valuable of this type from the 18th century. art monuments in Latvia. There is an opportunity to play disc golf, or at least play a couple of holes. Blankenfelde Manor is located in the parish of Vilce, which is located on the very border of Lithuania. Its origin dates back to 1462, when the master of the Livonian Order allotted the land between the Platone and Svete rivers to Klaus von Medem, who was the first representative of the ancient Lower Saxony land in Kurzeme. In the following centuries, the owners of the manor changed, it belonged to von Butler, von Manteifel-Sceg, von Königsfels and for the von Hahn families. The most historically highlighted episode in the manor's history is related to the years 1804 and 1805, when the exiled, future French king Louis XVIII stayed here. Abandoned buildings and ruins can be seen from the once beautiful, mighty Eleja Manor, which shows the former scale. After the death of Johann Friedrich von Medem in 1785, the Eleja Manor was inherited by the youngest son, Christoph Johann Friedrich von Medem (also called Jeanno Medem), who, after the incorporation of the Duchy of Courland into the Russian Empire, acquired Eleja as a manor. Having spent his youth in service in Prussia and Russia, in 1801 Jeanno began to focus on Eleja. In 1799, Jeanno married Maria Elizabeth Louise, the daughter of Peter von der Palen, a favorite of Paul I. He also needs a residence appropriate to his position, so in 1806 - 1810, architect Giacomo Quarengi (1744 -1817) built a new manor house in Eleja in a representative classicist style. Lielplatone Manor park is a paradise of tulips and forget-me-nots. But it is definitely worth going around the manor building and looking through the windows into the renovated laundry house, where you can see the laundress's workplace and the items that were used to wash laundry and clothes. There is von Hahn family tomb in the park. Tour is 6-7 hours full of information and nice feelings.
All photo and video materials belong to their owners and are used for demonstration purposes only. Please do not use them in commercial projects.
Made on